Thursday, July 30, 2009

Define your programming skills via the collective conciousness

OK, I know that this might not be what Jung had in mind. But let's look at programming language trends through a global lens. What language should you invest time in? What languages should your business be investing in. The problem is, of course, that when you pick a language / operating system you commit to a platform for many many years. So what is best practice? What are other people doing?
Well the solution is to look at what jobs are being offered. indeed.com has a great interface for doing just that. The 3 that I want to look at are Python, C# and Java. Now there might be lots more but I want security:
  • The software I write needs to be maintainable both now and in the future. So I need to be able to find people with the skills I need. Therefore, the trend has to be strong.
  • The skills I have must be marketable in the future, because it is a serious investment in time to update your programming skills.

Python is somewhat of a risk in that there are not currently that many Python jobs around but the trend is definitely there and C# is a given. Java just does not seem to have the same momentum.










No comments: